ESP8266 based Plane Spotter now for Arduino IDE

I received a few complaints that users couldn’t get the Platformio IDE running since the security software detected it as malicious software. So I added the code also to the WeatherStation library as a demo project.


First you’ll have to install or update the library and make sure that you have at least version 1.1.1 installed. Then you can simply go to

Files > Examples > ESP8266 Weather Station > PlaneSpotterDemo

And you’ll have a template for your own PlaneSpotter project. Read the original article for more detail.

#ESP8266 Plane Spotter
ESP8266 based PlaneSpotter now also available for the Arduino IDE

Bethsalem presented a nice and simple enclosure for the PlaneSpotter over at RadarSpotting. Thank you for sharing!

PlaneSpotter enclosure by Bethsalem

BTW: this project is also mentioned in my new eBook: ESP8266 Weather Station: Getting Started Guide

Posted by Daniel Eichhorn

Daniel Eichhorn is a software engineer and an enthusiastic maker. He loves working on projects related to the Internet of Things, electronics, and embedded software. He owns two 3D printers: a Creality Ender 3 V2 and an Elegoo Mars 3. In 2018, he co-founded ThingPulse along with Marcel Stör. Together, they develop IoT hardware and distribute it to various locations around the world.


  1. Hi Daniel.
    I have a problem: the plane spotter is not working from a couple of days.
    Did virtual radar change something recently?
    It finds no planes…
    Thanks for the nice work!!

  2. I have the same problem as Federico. I built this project several months ago and it worked great! But now it’s just hooked to the web and never gets any flight responses. I can see the requests going out in the Serial Monitor of the Arduino IDE, but never any response back. I am also suspicious something changed at the virtual radar server website. Anyone know how to fix it?

  3. OK I looked around a little more and came across an earlier post on this same blog at:

    Then a person commenting Oliver said the following, which worked for me. This supporting file called AdsbExchangeClient.cpp must be modified so that you are now making requests on a secure port 443 instead of port 80, like this:

    for connectiing to adsb-exchange you need to edit the AdsbexchangeClient.cpp (I am working in arduino-IDE).
    Go to line 11 and change WifiClient to WifiClientSecure
    Go to line 18 and edit httPort, change 80 to 443

    Upload again to your ESP8266 and it should work again. — Thanks Oliver!!

  4. Found it, thanks to a very good friend quite strong in debugging.
    In “AdsbExchangeclient.cpp”,
    “WiFiClient client” should be “WiFiClientSecure client”
    and a few lines below “httpPort = 80” should be “httpPort = 443”
    The site moved from http to https…

Leave a Reply