ESP8266 Weather Station Color code published

If you don’t mind code which is a little bit rough around the edges you can start experimenting with the code for the color weather station. I just published it on Github.

You  can find it here: https://github.com/squix78/esp8266-weather-station-color

I used a display almost identical to this one: 2.2 Inch Serial TFT SPI Display ILI9341 Buy one using this link and you’ll be supporting  my blog and future projects.

ESP8266 Weather Station Color

ESP8266 Weather Station Color

Do you like this post? A typical project like the ESP8266 Weather Station takes many hours of my free time to implement and even more to maintain. Maybe you feel like offering me a beer for it? Modern technology allows teleportation of beers around the world;-) It is easy and painless and much appreciated.

33 comments

1. David Bird says:

Observation, you could pull the weather icons from the Weatherunderground server rather than host them yourself. I think they do-not apply any read quotas.

Did embedding the icons in flash prove to be too great an overhead?

1. squix78 says:

Hi David. If I’m not mistaken these icons are from a 3rd party (which reminds me to put their credits up). So I’d have to host it somewhere anyway. I currently also only use uncompressed bmp format and I doubt that any reasonable person still has them around for normal use;-). And then: downloading has the advantage to be easier to change compared to embedding in the firmware… But it was a design decision. Comparing pros and cons…

2. Stephen says:

Dan, is there a way to use this bigger screen with your PlaneSpotter project?

1. squix78 says:

Hi Stephen. I plan to upgrade the plane spotter project to the color screen, so yes, it’s definitely possible. Just a question of time:-)

1. Stephen says:

That’s excellent news. :- ) I look forward to it.

3. Glenn says:

Hi,

I have a working esp8266 weather but the small LCD only.
    im trying this one as i have the exact LCD lying around. i saw the “settings.h” where values need to be changed. (i.e. wundeground API, country, city, etc).. the only one that i was not sure and I did not see any explanation was the ThingSpeak value.

May i ask what is the purpose of the Thingspeak value? i tried to view it but I think its a private channel.

Anyway, i uploaded it on NodeMCU and when i inspect the Serial monitor, i can get to the part where it downloads the pictures.
    Here is the last bottom lines on the Serial.
    There is a line that says “connection failed.”…. Im guessing it has something to do with the Thingspeak..or maybe something else..

…….(lots of downloding lines here…………..)
    Downloading http://www.squix.org/blog/moonphase_L19.bmp and saving as /moon19.bmp
    Downloading http://www.squix.org/blog/moonphase_L20.bmp and saving as /moon20.bmp
    Downloading http://www.squix.org/blog/moonphase_L21.bmp and saving as /moon21.bmp
    Downloading http://www.squix.org/blog/moonphase_L22.bmp and saving as /moon22.bmp
    connection failed

File not foundconnection failed
    connection failed
    connection failed
    connection failed

1. David Bird says:

Hi Glenn,
      The purpose of the Thingspeak channel is to display (say) your own local temperature and humidity. So I have an ESP8266 and BME280 sensor running that reports every 10-mins to thingspeak the current temperature and humidity in my garden. Therefore I provide the keys for my channel and it gets reported on the weather display. Ideally there would be a software (compile time) switch to remove that option.

4. Glenn says:

Please ignore the comment below.
    I was able to solve it. Apparently, the wifimanager didn’t connect successfully to my router, so i had to manually connect and put the static SSID and password.

So its working now, yey! i can see the pictures and the icons properly.

im still dumbfounded with the Thingspeak channel in the settings.h.
    May i know if that is really needed?

5. Johannes says:

Excellent work.

Are you planning on implementing some touch control?

Many of these displays include a XPT2046 touch controller, like for instance:

6. Johannes says:

Would you mind sharing a picture and details of the hardware setup (e.g. pull-ups/down, capacitors, wiring)

7. Dan I’ve tried this out and it works great. Apart from the Moon Phase. I am getting just a black empty area where the Moon icon should be. Any ideas?

8. Piotr says:

Hi,
    Is there any chance regarding tutorial how to call bitmaps using WiFi connection?
    I want to prepare own set of icons but I don’t know how to use it in your script 🙁
    As well I have a question reagrding screen refreshing, as I see that is the issue when the time is updated and some pixels are not removed?
    Thanks in advance for help.
    Piotr

9. Karly says:

I have a 1.8 tft screen wich Im currently trying to convert the code for..

Using Adafruit_st7735 lib

10. Wolfgang says:

Very impressive weather station, works great!
    If it could automatically update summer/winter-time, it would be absolutely perfect.
    Have fun with the beer 😉

11. Keith Fowler says:

I was able to get this running, but wanted to mention a small issue I ran into. (Sounds like the same one Mike McRoberts references.) The bitmaps require more than 1M of SPIFFS, so if you were like me and had selected only 1M at compile time, you run out of space to download all of the bitmaps, and many of the moon-phase bitmaps will fail to download, or will be perhaps truncated or corrupted. I went back and changed to 4M (3M SPIFFS) in the IDE and was able to solve this. Still having a bit of overlay issues with the time updates, but as Daniel mentioned, the code may still need a little work.

Thanks for all the effort on this…now to add some of my own tweaks!

12. Jens says:

Hi Daniel,
    i tried to flash the script but i will receiving all the time the following error:
    *******************************
    In file included from esp8266-weather-station-color.ino:34:0:
    C:\Users\Jens\Documents\Arduino\libraries\esp8266-weather-station-color-master/WebResource.h:25:31: fatal error: ESP8266HTTPClient.h: No such file or directory
    #include
    ^
    compilation terminated.
    Fehler beim Kompilieren.
    *******************************
    I added the ESP8266HTTPClient-library to the Arduino 1.6.5 but there is still the same error.
    Do you have any idea what i can make that the script will runing?
    Jens

13. Stephen says:

Unfortunately Banggood.com are no longer stocking the 2.2 Inch Serial TFT SPI Display ILI9341 display! Can it be obtained from another supplier? Or can an alternative be used?

I would like a bigger screen for my PlaneSpotter project so that I can enclose everything in a case with the lcd screen acting as a box top : )

1. squix78 says:

I am having a lot of success and fun with these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/240×320-2-4-SPI-TFT-LCD-Touch-Panel-Serial-Port-Module-with-PBC-ILI9341-3-3V/2031268807.html
        They come with a touch screen and I got them to work with the ESP8266 with a little drawing program

14. Mike Lance says:

Dani, excellent! Built this over the weekend (preparing to teach another IoT class this week) and almost worked flawlessly (2.4″ TFT + Wemos D1 Mini). Couldn’t get the WifiManager to connect, tried a few different things then finally went manual mode. The 199: timeClient.updateTime(); would sometimes hang, changed the .h to use “us.pool.ntp.org” instead; didn’t do a lot of troubleshooting, was more in quick-fix mode. Maybe later this month I’ll try incorporating Neptune’s daylight savings code back into this (thanks btw for the link to that). PS will try to get some pictures with the kids doing projects over the session the next two weeks. Regards, Mike

1. squix78 says:

It is so great to hear that you use my code to teach kids. Also have a look at Keith Fowlwer’s code (a few comments up): https://github.com/fowlerk/ESP8266-Color-Weather-Station-v8

Yes, please share some pictures from the class room!

2. k5map says:

Mike, you stated that you changed the .h to use “us.pool.ntp.org”. What is the path/filename to that .h file?

15. Keith Fowler says:

Dani,

I’ve been adding some of my own enhancements to your original code for several weeks now, and thought I’d share some of my changes in case anyone was interested. I’ve posted these on GitHub if you’re interested…https://github.com/fowlerk/ESP8266-Color-Weather-Station-v8 .
    This version includes many enhancements to the displays (see the README on GitHub), along with Neptune’s enhancements for daylight savings time. The code could stand some clean-up, but otherwise seems to work well.

Let me know what you think…I’ll post some photos of the displays when I get a chance.

Keith Fowler

1. squix78 says:

Hi Keith

You put some really nice things into the code! I knew that the WifiManager had this configuration UI feature but never got around to use it in my code. Now with your code I have a very nice example to use it;-). Thank you a lot for sharing! I just posted your fotos on Twitter and linked to your repository, I hope you don’t mind.

I am working ATM on a 2.4″ display with touch. This would allow to switch screens or similar…

Dani

1. Keith Fowler says:

Dani…I don’t mind at all, in fact I’m honored. One thing to note, which I pointed out in the README on the repo, is that I have added a few fields over the past few months that may (or may not) have made it into the Weather Station library for the Weather Underground functions. Not sure how exactly to go about getting those into the master. (You may even be able to spot these on some of the displays.) I did not put those library changes up on the repo.

I’d also had my eyes on those touch-screens and had similar thoughts on using them to control the screen displays. I’m anxious to see what you end up doing with it. Your projects always give me more ideas to try ;).

16. Kevin Fonda says:

Hey Dani and Keith, I just tried this out a few days ago and love it. Just wanted to confirm that when I tried to use Keiths’ version, it failed to compile due to the changes in the Weather_Station library. I would really like to try out this version if one of you could point me at the correct library.
    This was my first project with an esp8266 and I am really surprised at how powerful and easy it is to use.

Kevin

1. Keith Fowler says:

Kevin…yes, sorry, I knew that would bite someone. I really wanted to get the changes merged into Dani’s master library rather than start off on another branch. In the interim, I have uploaded the two changed library files for the Weather Underground components to a separate folder on the repo if you want to download those to (temporarily) replace the original ones in the Weather Station library. That should allow it to compile. Let me know if that doesn’t work for you. Hopefully I’ll figure out the right (permanent) solution to address the changes soon.

Keith

1. Kevin Fonda says:

Thanks for the update Keith,

I got the new code and everything works great. Now I just have to figure out how to make it work with a bigger screen, maybe 7 inch. My eyes ain’t what they used to be. 🙂

Kevin

1. Keith Fowler says:

Glad you got it working Kevin…and I know what you mean about the old eyes! I’m right there with you. I’m torn between the compact size and being able to read all the data displayed without my glasses ;). Let me know if you find a bigger option that works well for a reasonable cost.

17. Keith Fowler says:

Dani…just made a pull request on your repository to add some of the changes I had made to your Weather Underground library. Let me know if you have questions or issues.

18. Keith Fowler says:

Dani, I just made another pull request for some new updates to the Weather Underground client library. These include changes to support some additional enhancements I have been working on recently that display weather alerts (as per the WU API call “/alerts”), as well as the addition of probability of precipitation (PoP). I have uploaded a new version to my repository on GitHub that shows these additional enhancements (see the README for further details), along with screenshots.

As always, let me know if you have any questions or issues, and best wishes for the upcoming holidays!

19. Keith Fowler says:

If anyone should want to try out the weather alerts additions prior to the library changes getting merged into the master, I have uploaded the changes to my distro on GitHub here: https://github.com/fowlerk/ESP8266-Color-Weather-Station-v8; take a look at the v9 folder for the enhancements that use the new library changes. I have also updated the README with information on these changes.